The sign-off class will consist of a 2 hour sit-down discussion to explain safety procedures as well as power hammer forging theory, followed by two 4-hour long sessions of working time to be scheduled directly with the instructor. (10 Hours total)
The Tripp air hammer is an invaluable tool when used correctly and safely, this class aims to provide a good baseline of tool literacy.
- Learn to manipulate the dies and tooling in a safe and controlled manner
- Check for leaks, loose fittings, and wear on the machine
- Learn the basics of power hammer forging theory and what the use cases are
- Get hands-on forging time with the air hammer
This is a Single Safety Sign off only - no independent access allowed.
- BL_S: Blacksmithing Safety Sign off
- BL_S: 16-Ton Hydraulic Forging Press Sign Off
- have at least 10 hours of forging time on the Hydraulic Press, and
- Must be 18+
READ-->REQUIRED to BRING/SAFETY: There are lots of sparks. So, you MUST wear Non-synthetic (Natural Fiber) clothes, including leather shoes and long pants are a must. Long sleeve shirts are not necessary, but no short pants. Also close toe/leather shoes and hearing protection.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, you must bring your own safety glasses.
Instructor: Gari Jimenez-Lugo: "I'm a Journeyman blacksmith specializing in cutlery and pattern welded steel. I spent a few years studying as an apprentice, most of my apprenticeship involved working in museums and renaissance festivals along the eastern seaboard. I bring a love and understanding of science and engineering to the craft while respecting historical tradition."
Nova Labs previously announced this event on Meetup.com.
© 2020 Nova Labs, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Nova Labs, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, EIN 45-3796580. Contributions are tax-deductible.