Our Classes by List View
Calendar View of all Nova Labs events Find a tutor Ask a question about an event
This camp will focus on capturing the great outdoors on the canvas. A perfect fit for your favourite budding Bob Ross. Due to this week’s theme, campers will be going on a variety of walking field trips. A fun educational camp, this day will also include literacy, math, outdoor and social activities for your child.
Camp runs each day 9:30am-2:30pm from 5 Jul to 8 Jul.
Nova Labs makerschool has limited scholarships and discounts available for campers with a need. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to apply.
If you register for this session PLEASE read your confirmation email for further information.
In this camp, campers use design, build and program behaivors for their own special best friend using Micro:bit. Will your student come home with a pet rock or new robot dog? Or maybe a robot Kraken? Only they will know! A fun educational camp, this day will also include literacy, math, outdoor and social activities for your child.
Crafters Cove open office hours! Bring your project or come and find a new one to work on! Painting, sewing, knitting . . . you name it! We are so excited to see what you are working on and share the joy of crafting!
Members Only (All levels of membership welcome)
After you've taken Blacksmithing 101, continue learning and having fun with blacksmithing. Make new stuff or continue a project. One of our experienced smiths will be there to help.
Look up fun stuff on Instructables and YouTube. Most of the time, you end up with something really cool, and you always have fun trying. You will leave with whatever metal you have beaten into submission.
This is for ASSOCIATES and KEY MEMBERS ONLY.
Important -- Please review and acknowledge the rules and conditions listed below:
1. No more than 2 people per anvil
(which will limit us to a mere 8 folks if we haul out the "broken" anvil).
2. Masks must be worn at all times.
3. No more than two people in the inside area at any time
(which includes standing in the doorway using the press).
4. We can't provide a community water cooler, and it's going to be really hot - everyone MUST bring some water/juice to stay hydrated.
5. Obviously, you must have taken BL_101.
6. Required safety items: You must wear safety glasses (we have some to borrow if you need them), leather shoes, and 100% non-synthetic clothes (cotton, wool, leather). You WILL NOT be able to blacksmith if you are wearing synthetic clothing. We suggest you mark your personal gloves and glasses since they are frequently forgotten at the lab.
Blacksmithing Policy: Minors under 16 years must be accompanied by a parent or designated adult who must supervise and participate alongside the minor (both must register). The adult must have taken Blacksmithing 101. The adult is responsible for the safety of the minor and must be close enough to physically intervene in case of danger.
Prerequisite: Green Orientation Sign-off AND Blacksmithing 101 Sign-off (BL_101)
Cost covers use of propane, materials, and tools.
*Refunds not offered if prerequisites are not met at the time of the class.
Nova Labs previously announced this event on Meetup.com.
Hands-on learning with both real components, breadboard, and testing equipment. Makes great connections for using the Nova Labs Electronics Toolbench.
1. Students are introduced to the basic electronics concepts using TinkerCAD Circuits' amazing electronics simulator. Build and experiment with electronic circuits in a visually accurate, functional simulator that is designed for easy use. No components to buy, no soldering. With TinkerCAD you can learn to work with a variety of components, breadboards, test instruments, sensors and there are even Arduinos and displays you can program (not covered in the basic class).
2. Get hands on practice by building with real components.
Prerequisites: None. * This is an adult class, but beginners of all ages are welcome.
Other Nova Labs Events you should attend: The Arduino meetups (3rd Tuesday in the month) and Robotics Meetups (1st and 3rd Saturday in the month) now held virtually, at which you can discuss your projects with other makers. After Nova Labs reopens, there will be Electronics Evenings to discuss projects, and members can use the Electronics bench to make things.
Preparation/Tools: Sign up for a free TinkerCAD before class.
• TinkerCAD is a web based simulator, you do not have to download anything. You do have to make an account with login. After you are logged in, the circuits is below the 3D CAD.
• Register for an account: Go to web page www.tinkercad.com
• Log into TinkerCAD; it will help if you have also accessed TinkerCAD Circuits (below the “3D Designs” option) and looked at the interface.
Virtual Classroom Access - Zoom link will be visible to registrants upon sign-up under the 'location' info.
***Your instructor, Nick Carter, is donating all proceeds for this class to Nova Labs. You may contact him at email@example.com.
MC&AL is a social group for individuals who wish to hang out and work on their own thing. So bring a project to work on or something to show off or just come to get input or hang out for inspiration.
Your project should be something you can work on with other people present, and doesn't need an entire table by itself since the idea is to be social. Come out – socialize - make friends while making things and enjoying your hobby or learn a new one. Bring your dinner with you or a treat to share with the group.
Need a way to make new friends and finish projects at the same time? Perhaps you're a maker!
Want to network with other artists and crafters? Maybe you need an artist's lab or bench time too!
Ask to check out Crafters Cove where we have a variety or tools and a small Crafters Supply cabinet.
MAKE – DO – CREATE – SHARE – EXPLORE
Including but not limited to: crochet, knitting, sewing, quilting, costuming, leather work, chain maille, beading, light metal work, portable weaving, jewelry piecing, scrap booking, stamping, embroidery, needlepoint, tatting, collage art, decoupage, card making, papercrafts, fiber arts, polymer clay, sketching and drawing, mixed media, calligraphy, digital art, writing, painting, small scale sculpting or carving, photo editing, etc.
WOW – kinda looks like a catch all – doesn't it? Well it is... MC&AL started life as three or four other groups with heavy overlap and not enough time for any one person to organize. Then we got together and came up with a PLAN since we all have multiple but similar interests and don't want to be locked in to any one thing.
This informal / social meeting is also for those people with projects and questions, maybe you've gotten stuck or come to a decision point. Come out and get a fresh perspective. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions even if we've never done anything like it! Your chance to share techniques and stay up to speed on emerging trends, and learn new skills or interests. Set a date and time to actually get something done and keep it – with us!